Friday, July 27, 2012

More Daylilies

I spent the middle part of this week in Detroit.  My friends Jon and Helen are leaving in about three weeks for six months in China.  Both will teach English, Jon in university level, Helen at the elementary level.  It's no small matter to leave home for half-a-year!  I will miss them at Thanksgiving!

Friend Joan had a knee replacement on Monday.  I found her Wednesday afternoon at Henry Ford-West Bloomfield, waiting to be sent home after just two days.  What an odd hospital.  The main traffic corridor, christened "Main Street," was a kind of farmers' and flea market, with people selling everything from fresh produce to jewelry to sports kitsch.  A foursome of women were playing bridge next to a hearing aid peddler.  I'm sure there must have been a palm reader in there somewhere, but I didn't spot her.

In any case, Joan seemed in good fettle and happy to be returning to her own digs.  I trust her healing goes well.  As an organist, she needs that knee!  Joan and I served on the Camp Chickagami Task Force, so we've known each other for over 25 years.  She's good folks!

A couple more daylilies have bloomed.  The yellow is Hyperion, a garden staple for over 80 years.  In Greek mythology, Hyperion is the name of a Titan, who fathered to Eos, Selene and Helios.  It could be the name was chosen for the reference to Helios, because this flower is a bright lemon yellow with rather narrow, wing-like pedals.  The other bloomer is Apricot Serenade, a ruffled daylily of a pleasant light apricot or melon hue.  I'm sure there must be a distinction between apricot and melon, but it's lost on me!

Apricot Serenade
Hemerocallis 'Hyperion'
 We had some rain while I was away, but probably not as much as Detroit received on Thursday morning.  Withal, the plants all look much happier now than when I left for "down below." •••

No comments:

Post a Comment