Sunday, March 18, 2012

Trinkets

As I've gone through my grandfather's things, a few interesting artifacts have surfaced, in addition to the fungus art noted in an earlier post.  Many of these items appear to souvenirs of places he visited.  I doubt that much, if any, of this stuff has more than sentimental value.  But sentiment counts!

A small jade dog or bear.
Jade archer's rings.  The bows must have been heavy-duty
to require this kind of thumb protection!
Portable scale, perhaps for weighing seasonings.
I think this is a censer, a container for burning incense.
Wooden drum with mallet.
Two stones marked "Patmos" for the island where
St. John the Divine wrote his Revelation.
Some of my grandfather's most valuable artifacts are no longer in the family's possession.  Most of his photographs were purchased by a collector when we closed out my grandmother's house in Pennsylvania, and some are now starting to appear for sale at an online auction site.  I hope they end up in the hands of people who appreciate them. •••

No comments:

Post a Comment