After nearly a year, my woodpile is undergoing some changes. I found an ad in the Alpena newspaper for a guy who splits wood. It turned out that he processes pulpwood, but he gave my name to Ed and Walt. They looked over the pile last week and agreed to show up today. True to their word, they arrived promptly at 6:30 a.m.! Eight hours later, about two-thirds of my woodpile had been processed. Now, instead of a huge pile of
unsplit logs, I have a huge pile of
split logs!
 |
| The woodpile before Walt and Ed arrived this morning. |
 |
| Walt (left) and Ed start their work shortly after 6:30 a.m.!! |
 |
| By midday, the pile of split logs is growing... |
 |
| ...and growing... |
 |
...and growing into an 8-foot-tall pile. Now I have to start
sorting and stacking all this wood. |
Their log splitter is nearly an antique. Walt says they bought it used (over ten years old) in 1980. It's on its third motor, and just about every part has been rebuilt. But the splitter performed admirably today, producing an 8-foot tall pile of split logs which the guys estimate at 15-20 face cords, and perhaps a bit more. It includes some hardwood — ash, maple, etc. — but there's also a lot of softwood which is better suited for bonfires rather than wood stoves. I may offer the softwood to Camp Chickagami, my next door neighbor, because their groups almost always have outdoor fires. Maybe Attila and Sharon can use some... and my other neighbors. I have enough wood to carry me 5-6 seasons. However, the wood will likely rot before I have a chance to burn it.
The only problem the guys experienced today involved residents of my woodpile who were unhappy to have their happy homes invaded, i.e., wood spiders (with bodies about the size of a 50-cent piece) and a baby rattlesnake. Yes, Virginia, there are rattlesnakes in Michigan!
Ed and Walt will return in a couple weeks to finish up the remaining wood. •••
No comments:
Post a Comment