Removing the stairs proved more of a challenge than expected, because several screws had been driven deep into the wood and buried. When we put them back in place, we provided a secure base for the stairs to sit on — two concrete pavers for the screened porch steps, and two cement blocks for each of the south side stairs. Dave used his little "torpedo" level to make sure the supporting blocks were exactly level. Clearly, he's done this before. Then the stairs were screwed into place.
| On Friday, Dave removes the stairs which serve the first floor bathroom in order for us to parge behind them. |
| On Saturday afternoon, Dave completes installation of the stairs for the (future) screened porch. |
| Then he and I turn our attention to the stairs on the south side of the building. |
| Cement blocks left over from the construction project make a very stable base for the south side stairways. |
The stairs were tough, because in the early afternoon Dave and I had to work in direct sun — and Saturday's sun was relentless. However, by about 2:00 we were finished, not just with the parging and stairs, but more importantly with all the chores demanded by the building inspector. This week I'll call the building department in Rogers City and invite the inspector to pay me a visit.
Dave then suggested that we put together my new grill, and I readily agreed. I bought this Brinkman unit at Home Depot a couple weeks ago, but had not found time to deal with it. It seemed like an easy task. "Assemble and cook in just minutes!" the box announced. Later it occurred to me that the packaging didn't say just how many minutes! It took Dave and me over half an hour to put the grill together. Assembly instructions consisted of a simple and not very helpful diagram on the box. In the end, there was one part we couldn't find a home for. Withal, when I fill the propane tank later today, I'll be "cookin' with gas!"
I should note that while Dave and I were doing our Saturday chores, Ed and Walt were splitting the wood in my woodpile, a task they started two weeks ago. I assumed they would finish on Saturday, but the quantity of wood — and especially the large number of massive "butt" logs — made this slow going. Ed had to use an axe and maul to split the large, heavy pieces, so that he and Walt could then lift the sections onto their splitter.
Understandably, given the temperatures, Ed and Walt wanted to start early in the morning. That way they could do most of their work in the shade. "Early" meant 6:15 a.m.! Although the motor on their log splitter is relatively quiet, it was loud enough to wake up Floyd and Sheri next door. Believe me, I heard about that later in the day!
With the grill assembled, Dave decided to take a dip in the lake. I required little encouragement to join him. No sooner had we put our feet in the water than we were surrounded by at least four pontoon and speed boats. My Lake Esau neighbors had come to visit! This was the socialize-on-the-water part of the "Life is Good on Lake Esau" party which several Esau residents had put together. The event was a tremendous success. At the dinner that evening I counted over 70 adults plus a solid dozen and a half children.
| Lake Esau T-shirts announced the party theme. I have two. |
| Dave and I were quickly surrounded by boats and swimmers. |
| Lake Esau's water is unusually warm this summer, but no less refreshing in the current heat wave. |
Dave and Cindi couldn't stay for the party. Both were committed to church chores at St. John's, Grand Haven, on Sunday morning. However, I'm pretty sure they will be coming back soon — although next time Dave is not allowed to bring any tools except his fishing rod!
| Cindi and Dave pose in front of my woodpile before heading home to Grand Haven. |
Indeed, life is good on Lake Esau! •••
No comments:
Post a Comment