Thursday, June 2, 2011

Boxes and a Leak

This morning I decided to take photos of the boxes we hauled north this past weekend.  Thanks to Phill and Brad, they are stacked in the basement and first floor guest bedroom, where they wait to be opened.  I'll be sifting and sorting for the next couple weeks, if not longer.  Some items will be immediately useful, and some will be "useful someday, maybe."  The rest will be fodder for a garage sale later this year.  So I put a load of laundry in the washer, grabbed my camera, and started shooting up the house.

In the guest bedroom, 48 boxes of books await distribution
to the bookcases.  Now, how does the Dewey Decimal System work?
Along with the books, several boxes helpfully labeled "assorted
"stuff" await inspection.  I was probably tired of packing!
In the south bay of the basement, framed prints await opening.
I have quite a few, but very limited wall space.
In the basement's center section, more boxes!
When I got to the north bay of the basement, I found something I didn't expected!

A flood!
I'm not sure what the problem is — I've called a plumber.  However, this set of shelves is directly under the washing machine, and the flood stopped when I turned off the washer.  That suggests that the problem is with the washer's drain, not a supply line.  This is also the area where the DirecTV and phone installers drilled through the exterior wall to run their lines.  That suggests someone may have damaged the drain.  The water came from under the insulation and ran down the shelves.  Three boxes of family photos were on those shelves, with their boxes soaking up the water.  Happily, I found the problem almost immediately after it started, and emptied the boxes before the water soaked the contents.  Whew!

Classify this under, "The Joys of Home Ownership"! •••

2 comments:

  1. I would recommend you use the Library of Congress system instead of dewey. It works better for smaller collections (yes, yours is small compared to even a small library)....go to http://www.loc.gov/catdir/cpso/lcco/ for more info on this system. The "verso" (reverse side) of the title page will show the LC and Dewey classification codes in most US books and in UK books usually only the LC code.

    You can use Worldcat (worldwide catalog of libraries worldwide) www.worldcat.org to look up any book where you don't have a classification code.

    The bottom edge of the spine label should be one inch from the bottom of the spine. This will put all your labels in line on your shelves!

    Wow, this will be another job, but well worth it in the end!

    We miss you lots, John! Sarah and Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sarah! I have my work cut out for me!

    ReplyDelete