Friday, August 13, 2010
"When you wish upon a star..."
Last night was the Perseid Meteor Shower. The peak was Wednesday, but I didn't hear about it on TV until yesterday. Thus at about 11:00 I walked out to the lake and looked up into a wonderfully starry sky, with the Milky Way flowing like a river overhead. In the space of about a half hour I saw nine "shooting stars." Most were just fleeting streaks of light seen out of the corner of my eye, but one left a trail which endured for about three seconds, and three came as a cluster over about 15 seconds. These steaks of light are bits of dust and debris left over from the passing of Comet Swift-Tuttle around the sun. When this debris hits Earth's atmosphere, it burns up — and becomes the occasion for wishes. I have nine wishes! •••
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment