Monday, August 30, 2010

Handling Storm Water

I am becoming a regular at Cabin Creek Coffee.  This morning I walked in and the young lady behind the counter started a double latte without even asking!

Jim's crew arrived early this morning and began unloading the drainage pipes which will surround the footings and divert storm water away from the house.  I don't suppose this is absolutely necessary, given the type of soil here — rocks and sand.  However, I don't plan to have gutters and downspouts, so runoff from the roofs will drop close to the house.  Precautions about storm water is smart.  They will also put in a sump and pump.  This is intended not so much to deal with groundwater — I'm several feet above the water table — but if a pipe breaks, I don't want my basement to turn into a swimming pool!

Jim's crew fills in around the footings with sand.
Bundles of drain pipe — to handle storm water around the footings — await installation.
Yesterday I took services at Trinity Episcopal Church in Alpena and devoted my sermon to a discussion of the New York mosque issue.  I'll have to see if I can post a pdf.

Tomorrow I head back to Grand Haven to check my mail and pay a visit to Dave Swain, my dentist, with whom I seem to be spending far too much time!  Then, Thursday afternoon, I'll drive back here and resume living out a suitcase! •••

No comments:

Post a Comment