No luck yet with contractors. A couple days ago one of the Alpena builders gave me a guesstimate just shy of 100% over the appraised value. And that was without the garage!
Meanwhile, I've decided to go ahead with tree-clearing. Presque Isle Electric can't mark the route for the power line until the trees are cut, and once that is done I will have to wait for a crew to run the line. I'm told this process could take weeks, so cutting the trees now may advance the start date for construction by perhaps a month.
The lot has mostly second-growth cedar with a scattering of ash and white paper birch. The cedars are no great loss, the ash should be cut down because of the ash borer infestation, and the birch are mostly dead or dying. However, there are a couple oaks near the lakeshore which I'll keep. The real difficulty here are the more mature cedars on the lakeshore. Most of these will have to go in order to open up the site for air and light, and for solar gain in the winter. But this will also make my house much more visible from the lake. Ah, well, if you want a view of the lake, you must accept that people on the lake will have a view of you!
Meanwhile, Sharon saw a coyote crossing the road a couple days ago. Some local residents claim to have seen a large cat in the area, but others doubt these reports. •••
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment