Wednesday, September 18, 2013

New Light and Wood

The Rev. Dr. Paul Lance and his wife Patty paid a visit to our New Lighthouse today.  They were part of a tour group sponsored by First Federal Bank in Alpena.  The tour's goal was to show new retirees some cool things to do in the immediate area.  Paul and Patty are not retired (Paul is pastor of First Congrational UCC Church in Alpena and a member of my scripture study group), but they have recently moved to Alpena from California.  This was good orientation.

Paul and Patty watch a video on the evolution of lighthouse
light sources.  Displayed beside them is our Fresnel Lens.
Paul already knows the area.  He grew up in Alpena and his mother has lived here for many years.  But Paul himself has not lived in Northeast Michigan for about 30 years.  Now he is taking charge of his boyhood church.  That can be a difficult assignment.  I wish him well.

The wood area, somewhat straightened up.
Now that most of the winter's firewood has been split, I'm starting to tidy up the woodpile area.  I've boxed a large quantity of "chunk" wood, pieces too small for the normal stacks.  I'll burn it with the regular wood.  Scrap wood has gone to the brush pile to be hauled away or chipped.

While quite a bit of my birch wood has proved too rotted to burn, birch bark can be used to start fires.  I'll dry it in the sun — in a day or two, when the sun returns.  A storm system organizing north of the Dakotas will move through tomorrow, bringing warm temperatures and rain.  Then we will get cooler and "seasonal" temperatures, according to NOAA, along with clear skies and sun.  At least that's the line today.  But this is Michigan... wait a day (or a couple hours) and it will change. •••

No comments:

Post a Comment