On Tuesday night, after Helen, Jon and I had retired for the evening, Jon looked out the window and thought he saw lightning. Helen suggested it was sheet lightning. Jon looked again and said that couldn't be, because the stars were out. Helen looked again and realized that else was going on.
 |
| Aurora borealis from space. |
It was the aurora borealis! The northern lights! Helen called up the stairs, but I was fast asleep and didn't respond. She and Jon watched through the skylight and saw an undulating sheet of white light moving above the horizon. What a stroke of good fortune for my friends! I've seen the aurora borealis only twice in my 33-year association with Presque Isle.
I didn't know that the aurora might be visible that night. But I might have been better informed if I had consulted the Aurora Forecast from the Geophysical Institute at the University of Alaska Fairbanks. To know where the aurora will be seen, click
here and enjoy. •••
No comments:
Post a Comment