Monday, August 13, 2012

Summer Olympics

While I've never been an athlete, or developed a consuming interest in sports, I have long found the Olympics well worth watching.  The London Games ended last night, and after 17 days I can finally resume watching our unfolding political carnival.  President Obama and Mitt Romney are on the county fair midway, trying the best each other at Ring the Bell.

(Wikimedia Image)
The Brits certainly did themselves proud with the XXX Olympics.  Despite concerns prior to the Games over security and transportation — which Romney commented upon during his visit to the UK (how can one screw up a trip to England?) — London seems to have pulled off an all-but-flawless event.  That doesn't surprise me.  The British have a decided flair for staging big public celebrations, perhaps because they have a Queen as Head of State and a Royal Family (with all its pomp and pratfalls) on nearly continuous public display.  They know how to do this!

Remember that during the run-up to the Olympics, the Brits, almost out of their hip pocket, pulled off the Queen's Golden Jubilee.  The latter event would have left most American cities in a weeks-long coma.  In London, it was seen as just one more smashing party.  I suspect, too, that it was used to test-run preparations for the Games.


(Wikimedia Image)
According to NBC's talking heads, the hot ticket this season was beach volleyball.  No doubt that had something to do with the uniforms worn by the women competitors.  However, as in past years I found myself drawn in particular to gymnastics, platform diving, swimming, and rowing.  In all these events, one can see the fruit of years of training, all pointed toward this one event, this one race.  I was on a rowing team in high school, and I can assure you that sculling ain't easy!  I was a terrible oarsman.  These men and women were precision itself.  Yes, the medal competition is interesting.  Yes, it's nice we got the most medals and the most golds.  Yes, we bested China.  But what is most fascinating for me is watching these competitors do what they do with such commitment and skill.

Last night's closing ceremony was great.  My favorite part was the Monty Python segment, especially when the stage was suddenly awash in nuns on roller skates, followed immediately by a chorus line of Roman centurions doing high kicks.  I totally lost it. •••

2 comments: