Saturday, August 11, 2012

Long Way for Lunch

Yesterday was overcast and rainy — a welcome development given the drought, but not conducive to outdoor work.  So I decided to treat myself to a day trip to Mackinaw City, an hour and a half north of Presque Isle.

The Mackinaw on duty.  (Wikimedia photo)
My main goal was to walk the shops on Central Avenue and visit the decommissioned U.S. Coast Guard ice breaker Mackinaw.  The ship is now a floating museum moored near the ferry docks serving Mackinac Island.

Accordingly, about 10:30 I headed north, parked, found a restaurant, and ordered lunch.  Then I got a call informing me that a Long Rapids parishioner had gone into the hospital.  Ah, well....  I had lunch, poked my nose into a couple shops as I walked back to the parking lot, and in due course drove home and then into Alpena.  Ministry is like that: you can never predict what will happen.  •••

No comments:

Post a Comment