Thursday, August 9, 2012

Secretary

This past weekend I attended the annual meeting of the Presque Isle Township Historical Society (PITHS).  This group was organized about ten years ago to take responsibility for the township's two lighthouse parks.  Their first task was restoration of the 1905 Keeper's House at the New Lighthouse Park.  The building was largely a wreck, but several years of patient labor brought it back to life.

PITHS members do a lot of the grunt work required to maintain the lighthouses, such as painting, tuck-pointing, repairs, landscaping, and trail maintenance.  They meet every Monday to share coffee and then put their hands to whatever project is at the top of the punch list.  And the list never ends!

The Historical Society board reports to the members on
2011-12 activities.
One of the members discusses trail maintenance at
the two parks supervised by the Society.
The Society's efforts have paid off.  Drew, PITHS president, reported that he and his wife had visited several lighthouses on Lakes Huron and Michigan this summer.  Our two lighthouses here at Presque Isle are, by comparison, in excellent physical condition.  In addition, many of the lights are open only 2-3 days per week, and the people who staff these lights do not offer much, if any, historical information.  Meanwhile, our two Presque Isle lights are open seven days a week from May-October, from 10:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.  Volunteers provide almost all the staffing.

I was elected to the PITHS board and am now the Secretary.  Happily, another member enjoys taking minutes. However, my assigned task is publicity.  My skills in this area will soon be tested.  The Fresnel lens formerly atop the New Lighthouse tower was removed when the light was automated and placed in storage.  A few years ago it was repaired at considerable expense and has been sitting in boxes at the Township Hall.

We recently learned that the agreement between the township and the U.S. Coast Guard, which gave us the New Light property, requires that the lens be displayed to the public.  The Township has contracted with a Texas firm to construct a temperature- and humidity-controlled (and secure) display case in the New Light Gift Shop.  We expect the lens to be installed in October, shortly before the Light closes for the season. There will be a formal dedication with the press invited.

Kindling, stacked near the main woodpile.  I went through
almost this much kindling last winter.
At home I spent a few hours this week splitting cedar for kindling.  This opens up one bay between the trees for more firewood, which I started splitting yesterday.  I planned to continue that work today, but rain (badly needed and most welcome) moved in this morning.  Since my splitter is electric, I cannot use in in wet weather... unless I want to short out the east side of the township, and myself with it. •••

No comments:

Post a Comment