Thursday, February 23, 2012

Ah, Nature!

Ash Wednesday brought its share of adventure.  First, about 8:00 in the morning, as I drove on East Grand Lake Road toward Presque Isle Community, I came upon a couple large crows feeding on a dead animal beside the road.  They flew to safety, followed by a bald eagle!  He (or she) was very handsome.  I caught a quick look at its head as it veered off into the woods east of the road.  That's the first bald eagle I've seen here since moving in.

Bald Eagle.  (Wikimedia photo)
I printed off Ash Wednesday bulletins at Staples in Alpena.  The folks in their copy center were decidedly unhelpful.  I'll take my business elsewhere next time.  The 7:00 p.m. Ash Wednesday service at Grace Church in Long Rapids drew a small crowd, just 13 souls, but got us off to a good start on Lent.

Striped Skunk.  (Wikimedia Photo)
On the drive home from Long Rapids I hit a skunk.  Skunks have poor eyesight, and can't see dangers coming from a distance, including my car.  This one blundered onto the road just as I passed, and the Ice Cream Truck got odorized good and proper.  How does one de-skunk a vehicle exterior?  Soap and water is unlikely to help.  Maybe I'll just leave the car outside for a few days.

One year ago, February 23, 2011, Sears delivered my new refrigerator, and the Sears crew was kind enough to move the wood stove into the house (Dave and Kyle picked up the stove on their way north). Meanwhile Kyle was using his planer to shape boards for bookshelves and stair treads. •••

2 comments:

  1. According to the TV commercials Febreze is supposed to deodorize just about anything. Why don't you prove them wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I've got some. Can't hurt to try, but I think it's more for fabrics. Good gracious, my wheels are pungent!

    ReplyDelete