Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Christmas Party

Last Saturday the Presque Isle Harbor Association held its annual Christmas Party.  This takes the place of our regular monthly pot luck dinner, and adds a holiday theme and entertainment.  This year the choir from the Grand Lake Community Chapel previewed a selection from the Christmas cantata they performed the following afternoon (I attended; it was quite good), and then members of the audience (including myself) were drafted to play hand chimes to accompany carol singing.  Chimes sound a lot like handbells, but are easier to play and much, much less expensive to purchase — or to replace if damaged by people like me who lack an opposing thumb.

It was a pleasant evening.  My gracious, these folks up here do like to party!  This is a more social atmosphere than I'm used to, Episcopalians being, in general, abnormally sober and straight-laced.

Seasonal and regional decorations were in order,
and the major theme this year was Teddy Bears.
An impartial attendee drew the winning tickets for the raffle.
Chow was plentiful and excellent, as usual.
The GLCC choir performed for the assembled party-goers.
I worked on Christmas cards today.  With luck I'll have them out before Easter. •••

3 comments:

  1. Hi John,

    I just had a thought - you had mentioned some sort of package that one can stick to the frige whcih contains emergency info....do you know where I could get one? I thought it'd be a great thing for my Mom to have, since she now lives alone.

    Thanks! And keep up the writing - I'm really enjoying it!

    Hugs,
    Marian H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Marian! The File of Life is available from the Presque Isle Fire Department. I'll get one and send it to your mother... unless you want to do that. E-mail me how to proceed. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Don't think I have your email...so...)

    If you wanted to send it to her that would be great! I'll let her know I "spoke" with you and that you'll be sending it on sometime in the next month or so (no rush). I've also been trying to get her to get some sort of Life Alert button thing - with all those stairs in her house, I worry constantly. So this will be at least a step in the right direction I think.

    Thanks so very much!! Have a GRAND Christmas!

    Hugs,
    Marian

    ReplyDelete