Saturday, November 5, 2011

Wet Wood

Yesterday and today I returned to wood-splitting.  Two 8-foot long bins are now at the firewood area and roped to trees to prevent them from toppling in a high wind.  When filled, each should hold a face cord.  That will give me a total supply of more than four face cords.  I hope four cords will be sufficient for the coming winter.

Some cedar split for kindling.  I don't want to burn a lot of
cedar because it produces so much creosote.
The wood bins are kits.  I hope they work OK.  Time will tell.
This wood was cut 15 months ago.  By now it should be well seasoned.  According to an article in Thursday's Alpena News, dry wood has a moisture content of 15-20%, versus 30-50% for newly cut wood.  As it seasons, firewood darkens from white or cream to gray or yellow.  And if you bang together two pieces of dry wood, they produce a hollow sound, whereas wet wood yields a dull thud.

By the way, you know you're "up north" when the local daily runs a half-page article on drying and splitting firewood.  I doubt the Detroit News would do likewise.

Although seasoned, some of this wood has been on the ground and/or exposed to rain.  It's quite wet.  Placed on the bottom of the bins, it will have several weeks to dry before I burn it.  And I'm finding that some wood is too far gone to burn, except perhaps in a bonfire.  Birch goes bad quickly; you can almost watch it rot before your very eyes.

My bins are starting to fill.  The dark ends of the wood
indicate dampness.  It should dry in a few weeks.
I've made a small dent in the large woodpile the past couple
days.  But can I burn all this wood before it rots away?
Splitting and stacking a couple cords will take several hours.  But the weather forecast is favorable through Monday.  I'll make hay — er, firewood — while the sun shines.  As for wear and tear on the muscles, I just spent a half hour in the clubhouse spa pool.  Very helpful! •••

No comments:

Post a Comment