Saturday, November 12, 2011

Harbinger

It was bound to happen sometime.  Yesterday at 7:00, as I stepped out my front door to get some wood for the stove, snow was swirling down on Presque Isle.  We'd clearly had some during the night, because the garage roof was white instead of brown.  But now the snow came thickly, if briefly, and decorated everything in sight.

The driveway after yesterday's brief snow shower.
Snow decorated the woodpile, but was soon gone.
By noon all the snow had vanished.  But this was a harbinger of what's to come in just a few weeks, or maybe just a few days.  I'm not sure I want to see this change!  However, as if to calm my nerves, or to lull me into a false hope, today was sunny, warm (nearly 60 degrees) and gently breezy.  I'll enjoy it while I can.

I wasn't the only one nursing false hope today.  This evening, as I left to drive over here to the clubhouse, I found (and quickly dispatched) a yellowjacket perched on my service porch door.  Perhaps he figured that summer had come again. •••

No comments:

Post a Comment