Saturday, November 19, 2011

More Stuff is Coming!

On Wednesday I drove down to Detroit to enjoy Helen's and Jon's hospitality, and spent Thursday catching up with friends all over the metro area.  Then, early yesterday, Jon and I drove to Lansing to claim the belongings I have had in storage there since I left for seminary in 1981.

Dave forklifts one of the palates into the back of the van.
These palates were packed up in August 1981.
Two full palates are on the truck.  A third palate was accidentally
opened a few years ago, but luckily, most of the contents
were retained.
The stuff in storage includes antique furniture, books (yes, more of 'em), and other personal bric-a-brac.  But there are also a couple important family heirlooms, such as the four-poster beds from my grandmother's home, and several boxes of material which belonged to my grandfather.  I couldn't just consign it to the trash.  Nor could I pull it out of storage and use it, because after ordination I ended up in a small (600 sq. ft.) flat in Detroit with no storage space.  So, month by month, I paid the bills and gradually became the storage facility's most senior customer — just a bit over 30 years as of yesterday.

Dave puts the second palate into the truck's side door.
Dave and Jon load the material from the third palate...
...and Dave locks the doors.  Next stop — Presque Isle.
Dave, the warehouse supervisor, is driving the load north today, arriving Noon-1:00.  Then we'll open the palates and carry it all inside.  I expect that my basement will be packed to the gills.  I'll be busy for the next several months rediscovering treasurers laid up in '81 as I prepared to leave for New York City and a new adventure in ministry. •••

No comments:

Post a Comment