![]() |
| Adult male Ruby-throated hummingbird (Wikimedia Commons photo posted by Michelle Lynn Reynolds, June 2006) |
I seem to have had two females living in the neighborhood. I christened them Lefty and Righty based on which direction each flew when leaving the feeder. They were at the feeder from early morning until nightfall all summer until, on September 1st, they abruptly vanished. During their residence in the woods north of my house, both claimed the feeder as their territory. They spent a lot of time and energy chasing each other around the yard.
For a few days before the females migrated, a third bird was in evidence, and his (her?) presence was not welcomed by the females. He (or she) did not seem an adept flyer. I assume this was a fledgling just getting his (or her) skills under control. Juveniles migrate after the females, so it was most likely this lone youngster who patronized the feeder for the last couple weeks. Now he (or she) is headed to whatever warm spot hummingbirds from this area spend the winter — the southern U.S., Mexico, or one of the Caribbean islands.
This summer I used over two pounds of sugar making nectar for the hummers. In exchange for that investment I received considerable entertainment all through the summer. Next year I may put up two feeders. That could reduce the territorial competition among the birds... or perhaps it will simply provide more opportunities for conflict!
At the moment I'm waiting for a gutter contractor to call. I'd hoped to go without gutters and downspouts, but the amount of rainwater runoff from the house and garage is washing out areas of my driveway. •••

No comments:
Post a Comment