Yesterday I drove a load of books and files over to storage in Detroit. I have several more loads to take over — all that stuff which for years has made its home in my church offices as I've moved from parish to parish. Now, with no parish or office, it will go with all the other accumulated stuff awaiting shipment north. It can't stay here; right now my apartment looks like a warehouse!
Today is Day Three of retirement. It feels like a long weekend, or the start of a couple weeks of vacation. What will it be like when the vacation doesn't stop?
My last Sunday at St. John's, May 30, was bittersweet. A typical interim process runs about two years, give or take a couple months. That is roughly the time needed for a permanent Rector to feel that he or she has finally settled in, knows most of the congregation, and has earned the flock's acceptance and trust. It is at this moment that the interim packs up and leaves! During my interim training in 1996, one of our instructors told us that leave-taking was, for her, the most difficult aspect of this work. It didn't seem so then, but it does now.
I was especially happy that Win and Bill, members from St. Michael's, Grosse Pointe Woods, my next-to-last interim post, dropped by to share the day! As guest preacher Mark Edington delivered not one, but two excellent sermons. (How he does two homilies per Sunday is a mystery. I believe the Spirit doles me out, at most, one good idea per week.) Mark's reflection on the interim's trade was spot on. At the 8:30 Eucharist I had the privilege and joy of pronouncing God's blessing upon Karen and Maury Fredericks on their anniversary. At the 10:45 Eucharist John Bryson and Lynn Middlebrook teamed up for an excellent Trumpet Tune by Purcell, and the Choir was in great form singing Cup Has Been Lifted by Joanie's friend Ron Klusmeier. During the Leave-Taking at the end of the late service I was deeply touched by Kathryn's blessing, for her presence at St. John's has been a blessing to us all. I was touched by the kind words and hugs of many good friends after the service. And, of course, one final surprise! — David Schock and his jazz bank playing brilliantly in the Parish Hall during coffee hour. What a day!
Here are a few photos, many taken by Mark Kelley. For convenience, I'll divide them into two groups. This will be early service, and the second post the late service.
The Rev. Mark D.W. Edington and I heading toward the church.
Beginning the Eucharist
Exchanging the Peace one last time
Pronouncing the Nuptial Blessing for the Fredericks' anniversary — one of those tasks, along with birthday blessings, which I have found an especially happy part of my ministry
During the Great Thanksgiving, with (l to r) Nancy Solon, Fr. Mark, and Herb Guy
Delivering the Interim Pastor's final statement at the Leave-Taking
So many kind comments after the service!
With Maury and Karen in the Narthex
Greeting Bishop Bill and Tress — their support and hospitality over these two years has been a joy
With Herb and Ginny — at my arrival in Grand Haven, Ginny researched available apartments and found me a place to hang my hat
As PKs, David and Kate know parish ministry inside out, and their support has been a blessing •••
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment