Friday, May 17, 2013

Universal Orlando

On the road:  Today I visited Universal Studios Orlando, my first trip to a Florida theme park in about 20 years.  When you include walking from the parking structure to the attraction, and back again, and walking all through the Islands of Adventure area, this was a hike of several miles.  I don't think I'll have trouble falling asleep tonight!

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter and Hogwarts Castle
is at the far end of Islands of Adventure.  Just walk through the
Dr. Seuss and Lost Continent attractions to get there.

Alas, flue powder doesn't work here. 
Lots of people want their photo taken
with the Express as a backdrop.
I was mainly curious to see how successfully Universal had put together The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.  I grade this attraction a "B" — nicely done, but maybe a bit thin on detail.  You enter Potter's World at Hogsmeade Station, where the Hogwarts Express has just pulled in and makes a nice backdrop for photos.  From there you worm your way through dense crowds to Hogwarts Castle for a tour.

You almost have to fight your way through the crowds, which
are especially difficult to negotiate inside the castle.
Tourists enter Hogwarts Castle here
for a tour and the Forbidden Journey ride.
On the castle tour, Professor Dumbledore greets you
in his office (a dimly lighted space, so the photo is blurry).
After that, for the stout of heart and stable of blood pressure, you can take "The Forbidden Journey."  This is a simulation.  Your "pod" of four people travels only a few yards, but for several minutes your chair goes up, down, sideways, backwards, and every which way at a furious pace while video clips make you think you're flying on a broomstick.  As the student guides say, "It's not a roller coaster, but it's intense."

One of the most popular attractions is the Dragon Challenge roller coaster, which I did not attempt.  Nor did I go on Flight of the Hippogriff, a less demanding ride.  Both displayed the same dire warning: no loose objects allowed, including prosthetic legs!

This warning gives you pause, especially if you
have a prosthetic limb!
In Diagon Alley — surprisingly similar to what you see in the films — visitors will find all the noteworthy retailers, such as Zonko's Gags and Olivander's Wands.  You can also buy butterbeer, which appears to be a carbonated soda pop with soft ice cream for the "head."  I opted for lemonade at $4.50 a bottle.  Eating (anything, even bottled water) in the park is expensive!

You will also find the Frog Choir, the Durmstrang men, and the ladies of Beauxbatons providing live entertainment.  Imagine doing this every day, just about every hour, for months on end.

The Frog Choir croaks out another song.
Later the Durmstrang guys offer an athletic performance
while the women of Beauxbatons (left) wait their turn.
After the Harry Potter area I checked out Marvel's Super Hero Island, an attraction devoted to all things super-heroic!  Again, the main attraction is a roller coaster, in this case The Hulk.  I really needed a telephoto lens to capture the looks of glee on the faces of most riders, and of horror on a few.

People seem willing to ride this roller coaster
all day, as often as they can.
At least some of these folks are enjoying themselves.
Body art seems to be the "in" thing for men...
...and for women.
On an island devoted to super heroes, it seems only natural that a super villain would pose for photos with passersby, and that a life sized replica of Captain America would be on sale for just $6,000 plus tax and shipping.

A comic book villain (sorry, I didn't get his name) was
willing to pose for photographs with adoring fans.
And for the teenager who has everything,
how about a six-foot-tall Captain America,
with a price to match.
Altogether, good exercise! •••

No comments:

Post a Comment