It's good to be home again. Three weeks on the road gave me some great memories, but it also left me pining away for my house and lake. So, I drove from Tallahassee to north of Atlanta, Georgia on Sunday; from Atlanta to Lima, Ohio on Monday; and finally to Presque Isle on Tuesday, arriving home late afternoon. The house looked fine... and very welcoming!
 |
| Deer defense. |
As I was leaving on this trip, I set up some yard signs from last year's campaign as a barrier to keep deer from grazing off my daylilies. As I've explained before, deer don't like daylilies, but will eat them if nothing more tasty is available. That appears to have happened in early spring, when a couple emerging plants were cropped off. Hence the barrier. It worked: my daylilies are thriving!
 |
| A downed tree. |
 |
| And the reason it couldn't stand. |
I also have a small cedar down in the back yard. It fell over on a windy day this winter. A close look at the base indicates why it went down — it has a very limited root system. That's typical of trees in this area. Given our stony and sandy soil, trees do not root deep. Instead, their root systems are shallow and rather weak. That makes our trees easy marks for wind, ice, or heavy loads of snow. Well, that's life atop what the last glacier was pleased to leave behind! •••
No comments:
Post a Comment