Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Pope Emeritus

Pope Benedict XVI gave his last public audience this morning.  Up early, I watched much of it on TV as I attended to my daily transfusion of caffein.  I understand that as Pope Emeritus Benedict will continue to be addressed as "His Holiness" and will still dress in white (but without the Dorothy in Oz shoes).  Having him living in the Vatican will no doubt be a little awkward for the new pope, but I'm sure they will figure out the relationship.

This is an intelligent decision.  In ancient times you were unusual if you survived your 30s.  Even a century ago, small health issues, such as a bad tooth, could easily prove fatal.  But things have changed.  We can keep a human being alive for many years, even if we cannot prevent that person from suffering serious physical and mental deterioration.  His Holiness could survive year after year in spite of alzheimer's disease, stroke, or heart attack.  That would leave the Catholic Church in the hands of unknown bureaucrats.  That's not the way to run a railroad, let alone an international church. •••

No comments:

Post a Comment