Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Leaning Tree

The winter storm christened "Rocky" by the Weather Channel is headed our way.  This blizzard dropped over a foot of snow in Texas yesterday, and is currently making a mess of the central U.S.  If this system tracks as NOAA predicts, Michigan's southern Lower Peninsula will take the brunt while my part of the Mitt will catch the northern edge.  Winds should increase to about 25 mph starting this afternoon, and snow accumulation tomorrow and Thursday may total 2-3 inches.  Lake effect could double that in my neighborhood.  Or we could get nothing more than a little snow shower.  We're playing winter roulette!

Meanwhile, I continue working my way through the firewood supply.

My split firewood supply in early September...
...and this morning.
I have burned about 2-1/2 face cords so far, and will probably use most of what remains before winter is over.  I keep the thermostat about 66º F.  If I burn the stove for a couple hours in the morning, the temperature increases to around 71º.  Given the tight envelope, it normally takes about 8-9 hours for the house to cool enough that I want to restart the stove.  A fire in the early evening keeps the house comfortable until morning.

Yesterday Tom's Tree Service gave me a quote for cutting ash trees which sit close to the power lines along the front of my property.  Northeastern Michigan's ash have fallen prey to the emerald ash borer.  If not cut for firewood these trees will eventually fall.  I don't want my ash trees falling on the power lines or on the house or garage.  So Tom will come by in March to remove about 18 trees.

My leaning poplar should also go.
The tree is split from ground to crown.
The split probably means that the center of the tree is
already rotted out.  If it fell, it would hit the power lines.
One of the trees I want Tom to take out is my "leaning tower of Pisa" tree, a huge poplar hunched over the driveway.  The guy who cut trees in preparation for construction did not want to tackle this grandfather, which is split and probably rotten to the core.  Tom tells me he will wrap the tree with chains to keep it from splitting open when cut.  Then he will climb the tree, remove the crown in sections, and finally drop the trunk.  Not me!  Tom will also cut up the dropped trees for firewood and remove the brush. •••

No comments:

Post a Comment