Thursday, August 4, 2011

Books Galore

I've been unpacking and shelving books for the past couple days.  Rain has made using the electric log splitter unwise (I have no desire to light up like a Christmas tree!), and those book boxes have been looking at me reproachfully.  So I did 4-5 on Tuesday, seven yesterday, and another couple this morning before coming in here to Alpena.  When I finish this post I'm going to see the final Harry Potter film before it leaves the theater.

Among the books I came across this morning was a large textbook on Michigan geology.  This includes photos of Presque Isle's limestone quarries, as well as a section on the formation of sinkhole lakes.  I learned recently, as I had already suspected, that Lake Esau is a sinkhole lake.  Sinkholes form when groundwater dissolves limestone, eventually creating a cave.  Then the roof of the cave collapses, creating a hole which, if it fills with water, becomes a sinkhole lake.  Lake Esau is deep at the north end (in front of my property), and then gradually becomes more and more shallow toward the south end.  That is the characteristic shape of a sinkhole lake.  For more information, go to:

http://www.absolutemichigan.com/dig/michigan/lake-huron-discovery-is-a-window-on-the-past-and-future/


I also came across a book on Michigan gardening, nicely divided into sections according to the type of plant under discussion.  It includes recom-mendations re: ground covers, shrubs, perennials, etc.

Now that the topsoil has been laid down, I'll start checking local nurseries for such things as creeping juniper — familiar to those living among the Great Lakes dunes — and black eyed susan.  As much as possible, I want to use plant materials which are native to Michigan (both of these are), and whatever I plant will have to be low-maintenance and able to thrive in sandy, rocky soil with uncertain rainfall.

Well, it's time to head to the movie theater! •••

No comments:

Post a Comment