Sunday, August 14, 2011

Avec Le Deluge

Friends Mike and Dan from Detroit made a quick visit this weekend, staying just one night.  For dinner I fixed them a creditable boeuf bourguignon served with Gillian and Paul's corn on the cob.  It's fun cooking for others, after months catering mainly myself.  This morning we had breakfast at Karsten's Restaurant in Rogers City, the best breakfast place in the area in my view.  When not feasting we toured Presque Isle — Mike climbed the old lighthouse tower — and talked relentlessly.

Yesterday was the peak of the annual Perseid meteor shower, but the event was rained out in my area.  At Noon Friday a front moved through northern Michigan, bringing much-needed rain.  Unfortunately for celestial shower watchers, it did not clear up by Saturday night.  Rather, it rained steadily, save for brief interruptions, from Friday afternoon until about 4:00 this morning.  I managed to see just one "shooting star" — on Wednesday, in the middle of the night, and then purely by chance.  The rain also baptized yesterday's annual Arts and Crafts Festival at the New Lighthouse.  I dropped by about 9:30 a.m. and bought a dutch apple pie for dessert for Dan and Mike.  By mid-afternoon many of the vendors had packed up and left.

Frontier trenches their way through the woods to bury
my phone line.
About an hour after Mike and Dan left for Detroit, a Frontier phone company representative arrived to bury my phone line.  I asked Frontier to do this a couple months ago, and was told they were knee-deep in pending line burial orders.  No kidding!  When I asked why the guy was working on Sunday, he told me the rain had backed up their schedule.  The buried line runs in front of my woodpile and through the woods to the power/phone pole.  Another Frontier representative will come by — someday! — to hook up the new line.  For now, I'm still using the original orange wire. •••

No comments:

Post a Comment