Thursday, September 23, 2010

Something about a Wall

The crew spent yesterday building walls for the ground floor, starting with the south elevation and working around the lakeside.  Kyle translates the plans into 2x6-inch exterior walls, with studs appropriately spaced and openings built to accommodate windows and doors which won't arrive for another month.  There's something about a wall that makes this project feel more real.

The south wall will serve the ground floor bath (left) and bedroom.
The west wall defines the kitchen (left) and living room (right).
By late afternoon the guys were hard at work on the wall which includes the door from the mud room to the screened porch.  The members were cut to Kyle's specs and nailed together using a nail gun.  Then the wall section was raised, nailed into place, and temporarily braced.

Sam stitches together the wall of the screened porch...
...and then the crew raises it into place!
As the walls go up I'm starting to get a sense of how large the rooms will be (not very large — I think this house will make good use of space, but will not be spacious).  I'm also getting a sense of the views one will have from various rooms.

This will be the view from the living room window...
... and from the kitchen.
The house goes together while the garage footings cure in the foreground.
Today storms have moved in from Wisconsin, and the forecast for the next two days is wet, wet, wet.  Kyle decided to drive the crew back to Grand Haven today.  They will resume work Monday, assuming the weather cooperates.

When I went out to check the weather early this morning, it was immediately evident that a skunk had passed by recently, or had been provoked nearby.  I can't smell that "fragrance" without remembering Mabel of the North, my Bouvier, who once — thankfully, only once — decided to play with one of these intriguing black-and-white cats.  That night she was so upset by the lingering effects of the experience, and so in need of comfort, that she wanted to sleep with her master!  I was not so disposed.  But I promptly renamed her "Dances with Skunks." •••

2 comments:

  1. That view from the Kitchen window is spectacular, as is the one from the living room. Sure beats my view of the neighbors in back and their messy back yard!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once I see how the winter sun tracks across the sky and shines into the building, I'll cut down some of the trees along the lakeshore. I'd like a bit more view of the lake, as well as good sun penetration.

    ReplyDelete