This is my first post since mid-April. What with Holy Week, Easter, a trip to Boston, and other obligations, I ran out of time and energy. I also struggle at times to know what to write about! Spring has arrived here in Presque Isle, although it's lame and halt. It was only 34º at 7:00 this morning.
 |
Daffodils, my favorite spring flower, are in full bloom. This fall I'd like to plant 3-4 dozen more. |
The past few days I've been trying to defend my just-emerging daylilies from ravenous deer. The harsh winter was hard on the deer population, and I imagine those that survived are trying to make up for nutritional lost time. I just wish they would eat something other than my daylilies!
 |
A grazed off daylily. At least the deer didn't munch it right to the ground. |
 |
| The new barrier seems flimsy, but it's supposed to work. |
 |
This fencing is hardly visible. I'll remove it after the plants get a bit more substantial; then the deer won't bother them. |
Political yard signs left over from the 2012 campaign worked wonders last year, so I put them up again in late April. However, this season it seems the deer just leaned over the signs and nibbled. "If you build a better mouse trap...." So, yesterday I put up a more substantial barrier — upright posts with 12# fishing line strung between them. One of the men at Ace Hardware in Rogers City recommended that I give this a try. While monofilament line seems a flimsy barrier at best, apparently deer don't like it. The proof is in the not-eating-my-plants! I'll reserve judgment for awhile.
 |
The dwindling fire wood supply. The wood stacked at the far end (right) is kindling. |
Meanwhile, I'm continuing to burn my way through my firewood supply. It's almost Memorial Day Weekend, but the continuing cold weather makes use of the stove very helpful, and continues to save money on propane. This summer I'll build another firewood holder, so that I can put up a bit more firewood for 2014-15. •••
No comments:
Post a Comment