Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Hiss. Boo.

The snow started late last evening and it snowed off and on all night and this morning.  About two inches accumulated, just enough to be depressing.  Now, at 2:00 p.m., the sun is out and the snow is melting.  And not a moment too soon, in my opinion.

The main woodpile is snow-covered again.
Last night's snow is starting to melt,
but Lake Esau remains ice-covered.
The major loss because of the snow was overcast skies on the night of the full lunar eclipse.  I awoke at 1:00 and could see a glow of moonlight, but the cloud cover was too think to see anything in detail.  Especially the "blood moon."  Another eclipse is slated for October.

The house feels cold, although I'm continuing to burn the wood stove.  That, I suspect, is because the humidity is rising.  Outside, the cold wind cuts like a knife.

A few weeks ago I bought a Polish cookbook.  Yesterday I made a vegetable soup and added some ground pork I'd bought without any particular recipe in mind.  The soup is seasoned with dill, which establishes its Polish credentials, and the pork makes a cheap and flavorful addition.  On a snowy day in April — can you believe it?... April! — this makes a good, warm meal. •••

No comments:

Post a Comment