Monday, April 23, 2012

Bob Visits His House

My architect came to visit his house yesterday, after an absence of 17 months.  I thought it was a good sign that when Bob drove in, he stopped halfway up the driveway and jumped out with his camera!  We toured the exterior first, and then the interior from master bath to basement crannies.  Bob snapped photos at every stage of the journey.

Bob clambered up the woodpile for a shot of the house.
The bench on the stairway landing makes a good perch.
To-Do: I have to get someone to make a pad for this seating.
Bob snaps a shot of the "closet" in the guest room upstairs.
We had a good time comparing notes on the translation of our design into a finished structure.  Bob was especially impressed (as am I) with the craftsmanship displayed in the stairway and book shelving, as well as the white oak flooring.  He also got a laugh out of the "barrier" across the windows over the bathtub in the master bath.  The Building Inspector insisted on this, in case (he said) someone "gets drunk, takes a bath, and falls out the window."  In that case, the drunkard would have to be about nine feet tall!  However, a happy Building Inspector being highly desirable, we accommodated his demands, however irrational.  I suspect this "barrier" will disappear sometime this summer.

Bob made good use of my Holland Bar Stool Co. stool as I
fixed us dinner.  Note Bob's block wall in the background —
a thermal mass — being warmed by the afternoon sun.
Bob was duly impressed with my wood pile.  He posed against it, giving some sense of how much wood remains to be split and burned — and adding to my collection of "visitors at the pile" photos.

The obligatory wood pile photo.  "Smile for the camera!"
I can say with confidence that Bob did superb work on this design, translating my ideas into a workable, affordable house.  He was also much impressed with Presque Isle's starry sky.  There is far less light pollution here than in Ann Arbor, and the stars last night were truly a delight to behold.  We saw three satellites speeding across the heavens, too. •••

No comments:

Post a Comment