I stayed up until midnight, but not much longer. For seniors, as for young children, keeping to a schedule is much desired!
This year I had visitors for Christmas: Helen and Jon Brewster. Helen is a retired deacon in the Diocese of Michigan, and was kind enough to share the Christmas Eve service with me at Grace Church, Long Rapids. Jon and Helen helped me decorate the tree on the Eve, and we cooked a proper feast on the Day.
![]() |
| Jon adds an ornament on Christmas Eve. |
![]() |
| On Christmas Day Helen and Jon phoned their children who were celebrating with in-laws in Chicago and Florida. |
Decorating the tree always brings back memories. Two treasures were made by a friend in Williamston a few years before I went off to seminary. Now over 35 years old, these "soft sculptures" are unique; I haven't seen their like anywhere else. Who wouldn't want cheerful faces like these greeting you on Christmas Morn?!
![]() |
| Everyone deserves to be a star... at least once a year! |
![]() |
| This is looking more and more like a portrait of its owner. |
![]() |
| Another old favorite are my crocheted stars, which I picked up at a church craft sale in Detroit in the 1970s. They are unusual and quite handsome. |
Some more recently acquired ornaments have found a home on my tree.
![]() |
| This USCG ornament reminds me of my time at Grand Haven... |
![]() |
| ... while the Cutter Mackinac ornament was picked up last fall when my brother Brad and I toured the ship. |
![]() |
| I had to take note of all the time spent on the election, especially Bobby Kennedy's candidacy. |
![]() |
| Helen and Jon found this one for me at Bronners. In 2014 a lot of my time was devoted to lighthouse issues. |
This year, for the first time, I put lights up outside. Not too many... just a few. The white lights on the tree hydrangea worked out rather well.
![]() |
| Two photos of the house on New Year's Eve. This one is without flash... or tripod (just plain laziness). |
![]() |
| The shot with flash captures last night's snow shower. |
And finally, the tree. I think it looks quite handsome!
![]() |
| Seen from inside on New Year's Eve... |
![]() |
| ...and from outside on New Year's Morning. |
My best wishes for 2015! May God bless you with good health and great adventures!













No comments:
Post a Comment