For the past few months we've been doing CPR. We now have a pulse! That has not been welcome news for certain people in Presque Isle Township, who are annoyed at our activity and feel ill used because we don't "go along to get along." I believe my personal popularity has dropped a few clicks. However, the so-called movers and shakers have largely ignored me since I arrived on the scene four years ago. Therefore, I'm not giving up very much.
I've found that being politically active has some genuine benefits. On Saturday I got to spend about an hour and a half with Carl Levin, Michigan's senior U.S. Senator, who will retire at the end of 2015. He is back home from Washington, D.C. to campaign for candidates across the state. Having seen the man on TV for decades, it was fascinating to watch him from a few feet away. He is a most effective politician with a remarkable memory for names and faces.
![]() |
| Senator Levin chats with an Alpena party leader. |
![]() |
| Having your picture taken with Carl Levin is a time-honored tradition. Here he is with Bob Kennedy, who is running for Michigan's 106th House seat. |
Carl Milton Levin was born June 28, 1934, to a Jewish family in Southeastern Michigan. He graduated from Detroit Central High School and, after stints driving cab and working in an auto factory, attended Swarthmore College and Harvand Law School. He first went into private practice and taught law at Wayne State University and University of Detroit Mercy. He served as General Counsel for the Michigan Civil Rights Commission (1964-67) and then spent two years as a special assistant Attorney General for the State of Michigan.
The Senator was a member of Detroit City Council from 1969-77, including four years as the Council's president. In 1978 he ran for the U.S. Senate, defeated Michigan's Republican incumbent, and won reelection in 1984, 1990, 1996, 2002, and 2008. He has served longer than any other Michigan senator.
![]() |
| Sharon, head of the PI County Democrats, greets the Senator while Gabe (right), his assistant and driver takes notes on people and issues raised. |
![]() |
| Sharon was as warmly greeted as any other constituent. |
The Senator's most important contribution to his home state may be the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore Conservation and Recreation Act of 2013. This legislation sets aside more than 32,000 acres of the Sleeping Bear Dunes Park on Lake Michigan as part of America's wilderness preservation program.
When I spoke with him, I told the Senator that I appreciated the much-maligned Affordable Care Act, because in my ministry I have had to deal with several parishioners who had no health insurance and therefore no way of securing ongoing treatment for their serious illnesses. The Senator asked me to write down these stories and send them to him, via Gabe at his Traverse City office. I will do so this week.
![]() |
| Senator Levin talks with the Alpena crowd about how Michigan Democrats need to turn out heavily at the polls. |





No comments:
Post a Comment