Friday, July 4, 2014

Independence Day

Last night's preview of the Ladies of the Lights exhibit was a bit limp.  We had only five people aside from members of the Museum Society board.  But we board members had a good time sitting around for an hour or so, chatting about something other than Society business, and eating shortcake.

The shortcake was a hit.  A good dessert for July 4th —
red, white, and blue.  Now most of the berries are frozen.
The exhibit is very interesting.  It consists of about a dozen large panels featuring text and photos of Michigan women who served as keepers.  The information — both technical and biographical — is fascinating and well written.  In addition there are three figures in women's dresses from the mid- to late-19th century, so people viewing the exhibit will know what garb female keepers wore.  They certainly never wore uniforms!  That was for men!

I did greeter duty this afternoon at the 1905 Keeper's House Museum.  From 2-4:30 we had 64 people through the house, about triple the normal summer afternoon trade.  People are out roaming around on the 4th of July!  And as I left for home, another half-dozen cars pulled into the parking lot, along with a covey of motorcycles.  In fact, the lighthouses are a favorite destination for bikers.

Wild One was the first hemerocallis to put up scapes.
With luck I will have bloom until September.
My daylily plants are starting to put up scapes.  I should have first blooms in about two weeks!  As of now I have 28 named cultivars, plus one unnamed daylily that was in my garden in Detroit. •••

No comments:

Post a Comment