Saturday, April 27, 2013

First Spring Day

This is the first day of real spring weather here at Presque Isle — clear, sunny, warm, with a light breeze.  Wonderful!  NOAA says this will last until the middle of next week.  Too bad I won't be around to enjoy it.  Tomorrow I head south.  I have a clergy conference in Delray Beach May 6-13, and along the way I plan to do some sightseeing, visit my brother and his wife at Roanoke, and generally chill out.

This is my first real vacation since I retired in 2010.  It's about time!  Cabin fever has been a nagging companion since mid-January.  Time to deal with this condition!  I have a few more chores to take care of before I leave, and I'm still packing, but my new GPS unit is perched on the dashboard, ready to navigate me on this grand tour.

The last of the snow is finally, and rapidly, melting away.
I burned about three cords of wood over the winter.
In a few weeks, I'll start splitting next winter's supply.
My croci have started showing their stuff.  The deer
cropped off half of my daffodils, so the display may be thin.
Unfortunately, spring doesn't last very long in this part of the North.  We could be into full summer by the time I return.  That would certainly please the robin which is trying to built its nest on top of the porch light beside the back door.  She was unhappy when I walked out this morning to inspect all the trash below her worksite.  I'll deal with that problem this afternoon.

The daylilies are starting to put up foliage for their
second season in the ground.
I also have to rig a wire mesh covering for my daylily patch.  The deer have already been chewing on some of the new growth. •••

No comments:

Post a Comment